Ahhh Cinco de Mayo. It’s basically the same as St. Patty’s Day, aka no one really knows why it’s happening, but they know it’s an excuse to get shitfaced. And I guess that’s reason enough for us.
I did a little research and found some specials you may want to check out, pre-Cinco de Drinco. I suppose you could go after, but that seems more like a job for late night pizza to soak up all that tequila…
Caliente Cab Co - West Village, NYCWebsite
- Alambre Super Taco Special – this massive taco is piled high with steak, chicken, bac
on, ham, pineapple, cotija cheese, oaxaca cheese, onions, peppers, jalapeños, pico de gallo, avocado and crema in a giant blue corn tortilla. Feeds up to 10 people (or 1 Dara), $50
Gordo's Cantina - LIC, Queens
- Torta Ahogada (pictured) – Carnitas Torta drenched in tomato salsa and topped with crema and pickled onions, $16-$18
- Pambazo – bread dipped in a red guajillo pepper sauce and filled with papas con chorizo (potatoes with chorizo) $15-$18
Meatball Shop - NYC (Multiple Locations)Website
- 1/2 priced margaritas
- Nacho Mama’s Balls – crumbled pork meatballs, black beans, cheddar, crema fresca, house pickled jalapenos, cilantro, and salsa verde. Normally served only at Sidepiece, within the new Hell’s Kitchen location, but at ALL locations for Cinco de Mayo!
Sons of Essex - LES, NYCWebsite
- Frozen Margaritas! Strawberry, peach, passion fruit and original ($15)
- Corona + Shot Special ($12)
Street Taco - Murray Hill/Kips Bay, NYCWebsite
- Chicken Tinga Tacos (pictured) – FOR $1 EACH!! All weekend too.
- Modelo ($5), Tecate ($4)
- ST House Margarita with Milagro Silver Tequila, Lime Juice, Agave, Lime Wheel, Salt Rim ($6)
- Watermelon Goza Margarita with Goza Blanco Tequila, Watermelon Juice, Agave, Lime, Wheel Garnish ($6)
- Margarita Pitchers ($28)
Mr. Purple - LES, NYCWebsite
- Fish Tacos (pictured) with Red Snapper, Pico de Gallo, and House Spicy Aioli ($10)
- Veggie Tacos with Grilled Veggies, Oaxaca Cheese, and Salsa Verde ($12)
- Steak Tacos with Grilled Hanger Steak, Sauteed Onions and Tomatoes, Avocado Crema ($16)
- Casamigos Hibiscus Frozen Margarita ($16)
Rosa Mexicano - NYC (Multiple Locations)Website
- Three-course Cinco de Rosa menu for lunch and dinner, including a choice of Guacamole en Molcajete or Queso Fundido to share; a choice of one entrée per guest; and a choice of Tres Leches Cake, Mexican Chocolate Truffle Cake or Churros en Bolsa to share for dessert.
- 3 Feet of Tacos! Served at the bar, featuring three each of four different tacos for $48 including:
- Pescado a la Parilla Baja – Grilled fresh fish with white cabbage escabeche and jalapeño-tartar sauce.
- Tinga de Res – Guerrero Braised beef brisket with tomatillo-habanero salsa, house-made slaw and pickled red onion
- Hongos – Grilled portobello mushrooms, black bean, roasted red and yellow peppers, grilled corn, cabbage and chile de árbol salsa
- Carnitas: slow-cooked pork, cilantro, onion and grilled pineapple
Camacho's - East Village, NYCInstagram
- Free shots every hour and free “cinco swag” like sombreros, mustaches, beads etc. to get everyone in the festive mood. For more information please visit https://www.camachosnyc.
- Bad Hombre (pictured) serves up to four ($35) – smoked Alacran Mezcal, Cointreau Agave, and fresh lime served in their signature skull.
GUAC Tacos + Tequila - East Village, NYCWebsite
- Cinco for Cinco! See the specials below, all including the lucky number 5. In addition, Avion Tequila will be hosting, providing samples of tequila that will be flowing all night!
- Original and Spicy Margaritas ($5)
- Buy 4 tacos, get the 5th free
- All Mexican Beers ($5)
- Choose 5 flavors of guac ($25)
- Buy 5 shots and get a free large guac
Hudson Terrace - Midtown West, NYCWebsite
- Cinco De Mayo Rooftop Party complete with a Mariachi Band and free drinks. Free admission all night long by mentioning “Fiesta” at the door. Free drink tickets will be given out for arrivals before 6:30pm.
- Drink specials: 2 for 1 Don Julio Margaritas, Bud Lights & Modelo’s ($5), Mango Margaritas ($8), Tequila Shots ($8) and Cocktails ($10)
- VIP tickets are available and include a 2 hour open bar from 5pm-7pm and exclusive access to the VIP Salon & Garden Terrace Rooms. For more information or tickets please visit: https://nightout.com/ev
ents/55-vip-cinco-de-mayo-roof top-party-3-rooms-live-dj-mari achi-band-free-drinks/tickets
Mel's Burger Bar - UES, NYCWebsite
- Riazul shots ($5)
- House Margaritas ($5)
- Flying Dog Numero Uno beers ($5)
Salvation Taco - Murray Hill, NYCWebsite
- Kicking things off in the early morning hours of May 5th (12am-2am) with a special of chips with fresh tomatillo + roasted tomato habanero salsas and a can of Tecate for $5.
- The restaurant and rooftop will also serve their hibiscus + ginger frozen margarita ($14) for lunch and dinner throughout the day, with a live mariachi band playing from 6-7pm.
Mexicue - Multiple Locations, NYCWebsite
- Happy Hour from 4-7 PM with $5 Margaritas
And here is a list of faves compiled by me and my fantastic Insta community! Thanks to all who sent me DM’s on Instagram.
…there’s a sentence I never thought I’d say.
- Empellon Al Pastor – (@cliffordendo, ME) – their cheeseburger tacos are EVERYTHING.
- Tacos Morelos Truck – Bedford and North 7th (@seeksatiation) – this is also one of my absolute favorites!
- Los Tacos No.1 – (@sethrub, @bmagallanes, @cliffordendo, @aarong23, ME) – clearly a heavy crowd favorite. And rightfully so.
- Cafe el Presidente Crispy Fish Tacos – (@againstthecurrent_fta)
- Casa Enrique – (@cliffordendo)
- Set LES – (@olextheukie)
- 5 Taco – (@eatin_my_way_downtown)
- Cosme – (@cliffordendo)
- Otto’s Tacos (@sethrub, ME)
- Tacombi – (ME)
- Tijuana Picnic – (@eatingnyc)
- El Kucho – Bushwick (@chefstickland)
- Taco Mix – East Harlem (@aarong23)
- Taqueria (@tiny_jjcs, @_ruizus)
- Tortaria – (@tiny_jjcs)
- G’s Coffee – (@uptownie_eats)
- Tortilleria Nixtamal – (@captainraf, @cliffordendo)
- El Luchador – (@_ruizus, @invrsleep)
- Cemitas El Tigre – (@dknychef0, ME)
- Calexico – (@invrsleep)
- Breakroom – (@martinez_d)