If you’re living in NYC, you know that it has been outrageously cold the past few weeks/days. Seems like a great time to test some slow cooker recipes!
Honestly, I’m not sure how I waited this long to start using a slow cooker. I’ve never owned one before, and it’s for no other reason outside of not knowing where to put it. It’s a little big, but now that I’ve used it a couple times, I can say it’s definitely worth keeping around. I have a mini Crockpot, but this is like next level shit. Now I get why people love them so much – they’re so easy! Here’s a helpful link from Reviews.com on different slow cookers, if you need help deciding.
This is the one I have, if that helps: Crockpot Cook & Carry 6-Quart Slow Cooker. This one’s great because you can literally pack it up and take it with you, in case the occasion ever calls for it.
I decided to make beef with broccoli the other day; I was craving Chinese food and I always wanted to try and make it on my own. Even though I know it will never taste exactly like those glorious buckets of takeout, it was pretty damn close. I actually swapped out the cornstarch for flour, but if you want more of the traditional takeout consistency, I’d recommend using cornstarch. It adds a thickness and slightly sticky feel to the sauce that you can’t really get with flour.
Oh and the beauty of a slow cooker? The meat becomes so tender. I used a sirloin steak, thinly sliced. The pieces just fall apart in your mouth, and not on your fork. Aka when you serve it over rice, the pieces stay together, but they are still super tender once you bite into them. Just perfect. If you give it a shot, let me know what you think!
Slow Cooker Beef with Broccoli
- 1 1/2 lb sirloin steak, thinly sliced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 3 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sriracha (less if you don’t like too spicy)
- 3 tbsp flour (or 2 tbsp cornstarch)
- 2 1/2 cups broccoli florets
- Cooked white rice (jasmine, basmati, whatever – rice is optional)
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- More green onions for garnish
- In a large slow cooker, add steak in a nice layer on the bottom.
- Add beef broth, soy sauce, garlic, sesame oil, brown sugar, sriracha, and green onions.
- Cover slow cooker and cook on high for 3 1/2 hours. Check the steak, but it should be tender by this point.
- Take 3-4 tbsps of the broth out of the slow cooker and into a small bowl. Add flour or cornstarch and stir to combine. Pour back into the slow cooker and toss with the beef.
- Add broccoli florets, cover again and cook on high for another 20 mins.
- Plate rice and serve beef with broccoli over rice. Garnish with sesame seeds and more green onions, if desired.