This has got to be one of the easiest things to make, yet it somehow looks and tastes really impressive.
If you love BLT sandwiches, I imagine you’ll love this dip! It incorporates all the things we love about a BLT, and dresses it up in a big bowl on top of creamy onion dip. NOM.
I am very particular about the onion dip I use, as we take these things seriously in our house, but feel free to use Ranch if you’d like. I love ranch dressing, but for chips and dip, we use Wise Green Onion Dip in the little green packet pretty much exclusively (purchase here on Amazon). To me, it’s the perfect combination of onion flavor without being chunky or overpowering. I love ranch dressing, don’t get me wrong, but for some reason, I think this is the absolute best.
As for the toppings, feel free to add things like avocado or maybe even chopped hard boiled egg – anything you might add to a BLT would work. But if you want to keep it simple, just romaine, bacon, tomato, and green onion is all you need.
Some people asked me if you can use mayo here, and while I think you could, I wouldn’t substitute the sour cream and the cream cheese. If you really like mayo flavor, just add a 1/4 cup. I think that would do it!
Note: if you’re taking this dip with you to a party, mix the dip part together but keep the vegetables separate until you get there. Otherwise the lettuce and bacon will get soggy!
- 8 slices of bacon
- 1 romaine heart, chopped
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 package (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
- 1 container (16 oz) sour cream
- 1 packet Wise Green Onion dip (or Ranch)
- Cook the bacon over medium high heat in batches until crisp. Set aside on paper towels to cool and drain off excess grease.
- While that’s cooling, chop the vegetables and set aside. Then chop the bacon into 1-inch pieces.
- In a stand mixer (or large bowl), add the softened cream cheese and sour cream. Beat together until well combined and mixture is smooth. You can do this by hand with a whisk, but it will take a significant amount of elbow grease!
- Add onion dip packet and mix in until well incorporated.
- Add chopped vegetables in layers with lettuce first, then tomato, then bacon and scallions.
- Serve with pretzels or plain potato chips, carrot sticks and whatever veggies you’d like!