Despite what some people may think, I do have feelings – and not just for food. So when this little subject matter came across my inbox, I couldn't turn it down. It tugged at my heart strings a bit. Mix a good cause with food and I'm there.
The wonderful people over at Glad have chosen The Skinny Pig as one of the hosts for their "Recipe for Giving" contest, which benefits Cookies For Kid's Cancer, a non-profit organization dedicated to raising funds for pediatric cancer treatment and research. All you have to do is submit an idea or a "recipe" that shows how you and your family give back to your community through food (think Meals on Wheels, Bake Sales, etc.), and the participant with the best idea/story will be crowned winner and will receive a $500 American Express gift card. Who decides the winner?? I do, of course! And no I'm not lying. Doubters. You can click here for the official rules and guidelines.
So how do you submit an entry? Just comment on this post with your idea or story, but keep in mind you can only submit ONE per reader/family, so make it a good one! The comment cannot exceed 100 words in length, must be in English, and must involve some sort of food-sharing occasion. It's all about food here…the way it should be.
See below for rules and restrictions on entering:
How to Enter: During the Contest Period, visit SKINNY PIG NYC and comment on the post to submit your "Recipe for Giving" briefly describing how you and your family volunteer together in connection with food-related activities (the “Submission”) in order to qualify for one (1) Contest entry.
By uploading your Submission, you agree that it conforms to the Submission Guidelines and Content Restrictions as defined below (collectively, the “Guidelines and Restrictions”) and that Sponsor, may disqualify you from the Contest if it believes, in its sole discretion, that your Submission fails to conform to the Guidelines and Restrictions.
- The Submission must be in text format;
- The Submission must involve a food-sharing occasion;
- The Submission must not exceed one hundred (100) words in length;
- The Submission must be in English; and
- The Submission cannot have been submitted previously in a promotion of any kind or exhibited or displayed publicly through any means.
- The Submission must not contain material that violates or infringes another’s rights, including but not limited to privacy, publicity or intellectual property rights, or that constitutes copyright infringement;
- The Submission must not disparage Sponsor, Administrator or any other person or party affiliated with the promotion and administration of this Contest;
- The Submission must not feature brand names or trademarks other than Sponsor's marks, which entrant has a limited license to use to incorporate into his/her Submission for this Contest;
- The Submission must not contain text not created by entrant;
- The Submission must not contain text that is inappropriate, indecent, obscene, hateful, tortious, defamatory, slanderous or libelous;
- The Submission must not contain text that promotes bigotry, racism, hatred or harm against any group or individual or promotes discrimination based on race, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age; and
- The Submission must not contain material that is unlawful, in violation of or contrary to the laws or regulations in any jurisdiction where Submission is created.
The contest will conclude in 2 weeks on May 19th, so please have all of your submissions in before then to be considered. If you don't feel like entering the contest ($500 and knowing you're doing a good deed isn't enough for you?!) there are other ways you can help Cookies For Kid's Cancer. You can look for specially marked packages of Glad products that donate $1 for each code entered on their site, or you can take the more fun route and host your own bake sale! Mmmm cupcakes… Cookies For Kid's Cancer has hosted numerous bake sales around the country to help raise funds and create awareness for pediatric cancer treatment and research, and now you can too. Just visit their website , sign up, and they'll get you started.
To all the participants, thank you for supporting this wonderful cause, and I wish you luck!