I know what you’re thinking:
“What is a quesadipper?!”
“What is Smart Soup?!”
“I have never felt more confused and less smart in my life”!!
Or maybe you’re not that dramatic.
Smart Soup was introduced to me a few weeks ago – they sent me a variety of flavors, from Greek Minestrone to French Lentil to Thai Coconut Curry, and even included a nice little mug to eat it in! Smart Soup is a frozen, packaged soup of the healthy, gluten-free, vegan variety. So…you might be wondering how in the hell that fell into my hands. The truth is, companies send me foods to try sometimes. Don’t act like this surprises you. That said, I don’t endorse anything I don’t like EVER, and the truth is, I like to eat healthy sometimes. And the other (more obvious) truth is that I absolutely like to play with my food and turn it into something gluttonous. I have a skinny angel bitch on one shoulder and one big fat devil on the other. It’s a tough life but I manage. Bacon helps.
So here we have this Santa Fe Corn Chowder with 160 calories, 6 grams of fiber, and completely vegan. If you dig healthy stuff, give Smart Soup a shot because it’s very tasty and this one’s got a nice spicy kick to it. I love soup, so I’m pretty picky about it and I would never go with a frozen kind, but this one may have changed my mind. Really easy to make and tasted great…now the challenge: how do I make it FUN?!
Santa Fe Corn Chowder immediately made me think of making a quesadilla, and then I thought about dunking the quesadilla in the soup. After some word association in my brain I came up with the winning moniker: QUESADIPPER! I’m a genius, I know. If you want a moderately healthy lunch, try this on for size and you won’t be disappointed.
NOTE: In my pics below you will see a sauce on the plate with the Quesadippers. I mixed a half of a mashed avocado with some ranch dressing. I didn’t measure anything, so just use your judgment if you want to have extra dunking power!
Smart Soup Santa Fe Corn Chowder and Bacon-Jalapeno Quesadippers
1 package of Smart Soup Santa Fe Corn Chowder
2 flour tortillas
2 strips of bacon, chopped small
1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
1 tbsp jarred jalapeno slices, chopped small
1 tsp mayo
Butter (I didn’t measure this, just slather on the dillas so they get nice and brown)
1. Make bacon. I shouldn’t have to tell you how to cook bacon by now. But if you have a cast iron skillet, use it! Drain on paper towels and chop into small pieces.
2. Prep your quesadillas. Place the flour tortillas side by side and spread with butter on both sides. For what will be the inside of your quesadilla, spread with the tsp of mayo. It adds richness and deliciousness.
3. Add cheese on one side of one tortilla. Layer on top with bacon and chopped jalapeno. And hey if you feel crazy, add more cheese on top. Why not? Close the dilla and set aside until ready to heat and melt into ooey gooey cheesy stuff.
4. Take Smart Soup out of the package. It comes in a plastic pouch. You can heat in a microwave safe bowl that’s big enough, or you can do what I did and stick it in boiling water on the stovetop. Doesn’t take long and so easy! No stirring or anything.
5. While it’s heating, make those dillas! Make sure your cast iron or non stick skillet is nice and hot over medium-high heat. Place quesadilla in the pan and press down a bit with a spatula. Cook for a minute or two and flip. Cook for a couple more minutes until cheese is all melted. Remove from pan and let cool just enough to handle, and slice into strips.
6. Pour soup into bowl. Bingo bango, you have soup and quesadippers! NOM.