It’s that time of year folks.
Time to buy things for people and be merry and all that.
Truth be told, I like buying things for people. I feel like I’m a good gift-giver. I may not be good at the wrapping part, but hey, we all have our flaws. So I put together this little roundup of gifts and more importantly, gift ideas. Because I like to give a lot of little gifts as opposed to one big gift. I’m one of those people. If you’re my friend or significant other (bless you), I am getting you that stuff that tugs at your heart strings and makes you think “wow, I’m so lucky to have Dara in my life”.
Ok, maybe it doesn’t do that. But it shows you that I pay attention, which is more than most people can say.
Bottom line: gifts that are meaningful are much better than gifts that are expensive (in my opinion). My ex bf got me a package of Yodels once as a birthday gift and I was moved to tears. Another one got me earrings. Guess which relationship lasted longer. I NEVER WEAR EARRINGS.
OH AND BIG NEWS! I’ve partnered with Shoppable, so you can now PURCHASE ITEMS DIRECTLY FROM MY SITE!! So exciting! Here’s the link to my Shoppable page with most of the Holiday Gift Guide stuff below (the rest are links to amazon, etc), and I will continue to update Shoppable frames as time goes on. It will give you a real close look into who I am as a person. Be prepared because NO ONE should be crawling around in my brain.
But I digress. So, here are a few of my favorite things that are NOT pricey and easy to grab. I even offered some pairing suggestions to make them unique (because I care about you, duh). Feel free to use this as a template (hence, a “guide”) and swap in/out as needed.
Just make sure there’s bacon. One year, my brother wrapped bacon and gave it to me for Christmas. And then it went bad because he left it under the tree for too long.
The entire family is on the spectrum.
Happy Holidays everyone 🙂
Holiday Gift Guide 2016
For The Fab Friend
- Courage to Sparkle – I’m obsessed with this book. Lois Barth is a funny and truthful writer, and she’s got that “I’m a woman and I’m fabulous” thing DOWN. I mean, look at the title. I am far from a girly girl, but I like this book because it’s not preachy, it’s not annoying, and it doesn’t have that horrible feminism agenda beneath every line. It’s just…real stuff that happens to everyone, with a female skew. Everything she talks about is something I have gone through at one point or another. This is the perfect gift for that fabulous friend in your life. Package it with some purple Chambord (remember Chambord or am I dating myself here?) and toast to YOU, girl.
- Get Dirty New York – Oh my, I think I’m in love. It smells like how Jon Hamm looks. Or, it smells like how Cinnabon tastes. Better? Maybe not everyone loves Jon Hamm the way I do (get off my page). Love these candles. LOVE. The holiday scent is piney and wonderful, and the other one just smells like straight up birthday cake and I’m so into that. The coffee scrub did wonders for my dry skin (damn you, winter) and there’s a “BodyWhip” too with cocoa and shea that makes you feel like you’re massaging icing into your skin. Another thing I’m totally down with: getting dirty with things that smell like caffeine and cake.
- Chambord – It really is a somewhat forgotten spirit, but I don’t know why because it’s a damn good one. It’s black raspberry liqueur and it’s GREAT for the holidays. So many delicious punch recipes and champagne cocktails. Not to mention their site is so damn cute. Check it out – it will make you want to throw a fabulous party with fabulous friends and serve fabulous fromage.
For The Fancy Food Friend (The Best Kind)
- The Cocktail Party, Love Mary – an awesome collection of recipes, funny essays, and beautiful photos. Mary is a long time caterer, great at hosting, and she always has the cutest outfits. Her book embodies that – with it’s perfect party appetizers, cocktails, and hosting tips. My fave parts are the stories though – conversational style of writing is my favorite kind of writing. Pair this with a bottle of Korbel and a cute velvet choker from JustFab.com. Perfect gift for that friend who loves to be hostess with the mostest.
- The Bacon Jams – it’s actually TBJ Gourmet now, as they have rebranded to a fancier name. But thankfully, it’s the same delicious recipe. This is probably going to be on my gift guide every year until I can’t type anymore. It’s so, so good. I use it on grilled cheese, in mac n cheese, on burgers, on GARLIC BREAD (you heard me), on hot dogs, and in various dipping sauces. You get the picture yet? Like Jay-Z, I’m painting you a damn portrait. USE CODE SKINNYPIG15 FOR 15% OFF YOUR ORDER!!
- Gourmet Gift Baskets – Listen. If you can’t give the gift of bacon, you might as well give the gift of cheese. And sausage. I love GourmetGiftBaskets.com because it has a PLETHORA of these things. I have never once disappointed a friend with this glass wine bottle-shaped cheese board and fixins.
For The Friend Who Quotes Movies (this is me, btw)
- Orville Redenbacher Popcorn – ok, hear me out. I think this is a GREAT gift idea. This is what you give that coworker you’re not super close with, but close enough with to know that they’re a lazy movie sloth on the weekends. Package Orville’s movie theater popcorn with one or two movies they would like, Fun Size candy, and call it a day. If they’re a good friend, throw in a nice blanket. Everyone loves blankets. #OrvilleMoment = captured.
- Fluent in Movie Quotes Pillow – I mean…this requires little to no explanation. It’s a PILLOW. And it’s perfect. I dare you to get me on a quote from Almost Famous, Spaceballs, Anchorman, Super Troopers, My Cousin Vinny, Fast and the Furious, Mean Girls, Mrs Doubtfire…….I DARE YOU. And no, I do not want to know what this schizo movie list says about me.