Yes, you read that right. PROTEIN. COOKIES.
I’m not going to lie to you, these cookies are in no way better than real PB chocolate chip cookies made with butter, sugar, flour, unicorn dust, etc. But for protein cookies that have NO refined sugar, no butter, and barely any fat/carbs, they’re pretty damn good. And they don’t have that weird protein powder aftertaste. I’m actually pretty impressed with myself considering I don’t bake much. Gonna pause and give myself a pat on the back.
Ok so anyway. The reason I started this is two fold: 1 – I’m a brand ambassador for Capezio and I am trying to make some yummy recipes for their Spotlight blog, and 2 – my bf is in better shape than I am and enough is enough. Well, he probably will always be in better shape than I am, but at least I can try to meet him halfway with these cookies.
To that end, I discovered Coconut Sugar recently, and I think you should try it if you can find it. It’s been a great substitute for brown sugar, even in the coloring! Obviously it’s not AS sweet, so I still added one packet of Truvia here, just because I think Truvia adds the extra sweetness you want in a cookie. The texture will be a bit soft and maybe even a little sponge-cakey on the inside. So don’t worry, that’s normal. I love a crisp cookie as much as the next guy but…white sugar and butter are the things you need for a crispy cookie and this has none of that.
I like to manage expectations, you know?
Lastly, I used parchment paper instead of cooking spray for the sheet pan to eliminate any extra grease/chemicals, but if you have coconut cooking spray that would work well!
Here’s the breakdown of the nutrition facts per cookie too, 9 servings. 72 cals, 5 g sugar, 4 g protein per serving/cookie. Hooray!
- 1/2 cup Rolled Oats
- 2 scoops (20 g) Vanilla Whey Protein Powder
- 1 tbsp Coconut Sugar
- 1 packet Truvia
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 Egg White
- 1 tbsp Natural Maple Syrup
- 1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 tbsp Creamy/Smooth Peanut Butter
- 2 tbsp dark chocolate chips (I used 60% Ghirardelli)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a medium-large mixing bowl.
- Add peanut butter, egg white, vanilla, and maple syrup to the dry ingredients. Stir to combine. Don’t worry if it doesn’t look like “dough” – the mixture will be a little wet.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop a tablespoon of the mixture onto the sheetpan lined with parchment paper. You can spray coconut oil spray on the parchment to ensure no sticking whatsoever. Leave about 2 inches in between each cookie because they will spread a little.
- Bake at 350 for 8-9 minutes. Remove and let cool on a wire rack if possible.
- Enjoy as a pre or post workout snack *biceps emoji*