I’m going to miss cooking in my big and beautiful kitchen. But in the meantime, I’m going to make good use of it while I still have it over the next few days…
Whilst cleaning out my fridge and cupboards, I decided to challenge myself to cook as much shit that I could make sense of. I also decided a little while ago that I’m going to start sharing more of the healthy things I eat, because believe it or not, I actually try to feed myself somewhat intelligently when I’m not eating 3 pizzas at a restaurant or going to a photoshoot.
Enter: breakfast. Truly the most important meal of the day. I never actually believed that until I started eating it regularly and now I’m obsessed with my overnight oats and my egg concoctions. This one is really nums, and I’ve dubbed it “The Breakfast Salad” because I used raw mixed greens as opposed to cooked spinach (like I normally would).
The great thing about this is that it’s a really solid base, so you can customize as much or as little as you want. Just don’t go overboard with the cheese if you’re trying to stay healthy. If you’re not though…then by all means dump that shit on there. I even included a recipe nutrition calculator screenshot here, so you can see the protein packed goodness.
This is one portion, because I don’t cook things like this to share with my cat. But double up if you’re cooking for someone <3
The Breakfast Salad w/Egg and Cauliflower Rice
- 1-2 cups spring mix salad
- 3 slices of bacon
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup cauliflower rice
- 1-2 tbsps shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 egg
- Scallions, chopped (optional)
- Sriracha (optional)
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and cook until crisp. Set aside and drain most of the bacon fat from the skillet, just leave a little in there to cook the onions.
- Add the chopped onions to the skillet with remaining bacon grease. Add salt and black pepper to taste.
- Add the cauliflower rice and cook with the onions for a few minutes until softened. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Wipe out the skillet with a paper towel (don’t burn yourself!). Spray skillet with cooking spray and add the egg. Sprinkle with a little more salt and pepper, then cook until whites are set.
- While the egg is cooking, plate the spring mix greens, add cauliflower rice on top, add cheddar, add egg then top with crumbled bacon and scallions. Drizzle with sriracha if you feel so inclined (I always do).
- Dig in and feel yourself getting skinny.