I’m calling this a Cobb salad, but it’s missing the blue cheese. It should be called Cobb-ish Salad.
The main thing you need to know is that it’s really good. It’s filling but without being too heavy. I also am really into this Tahini Ranch dressing. I saw it a few times on Pinterest and thought “hmm…this sounds interesting”, and here we are.
The eggs I made were not fully hard-boiled, since I like a “jammy” egg, so I’d say this was more like a 9 minute egg. But you make your eggs however you like them!
Also feel free to add protein to this. I was going to add chicken but I got lazy and didn’t feel like making it. If you have a rotisserie chicken on hand, shredding some of that in here would be a great addition!
The dressing is totally vegan, by the way. Not that I ever really go out of my way to make things vegan, but this one didn’t seem to need any dairy since tahini is creamy enough on it’s own. #teamranch. And speaking of that, when I first tried making this dressing, I just used lemon juice and it turned it into a THICK, glue-like paste. YOU MUST ADD WATER. Then the dressing becomes, well, dressing. I noticed some recipes didn’t call for water and I just wondered if they forgot or if they used some sort of magic tahini.
Either way, I think you’ll love this one! The dill and chives are really the notes you need to give it that ranchy flavor. I’m going to try adding some greek yogurt next time I make it to see if it makes a big difference. And if it does, this post will be updated!
Cobb Salad with Tahini Ranch
- 4 slices thick cut bacon
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped sundried tomatoes
- Half head of romaine
- 2 cups baby arugula
- Blue cheese/cheddar cheese (optional)
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh chives
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- black pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup water
- Make the bacon. Heat large skillet over medium-high heat and cook until bacon is crisp. Set aside on paper towels. When cool, feel free to crumble and keep on the side until assembling the salad.
- Make the hard-boiled eggs. In a medium sauce pot, place the eggs in the pot and fill with cold water – just enough to cover the shells. Place on high heat and bring to a rolling boil. Once the rolling boil starts. Turn off the heat and cover the eggs with a lid. Wait desired time (in my case, 9 minutes) but for a full hard boiled egg, 13 mins is my go-to time. Run the eggs under very cold water until cool enough to handle and peel off the shells. Slice in half and set aside.
- Assemble the salad! In a large bowl, combine the greens, tomatoes, and sundried tomatoes. Top with sliced avocado and sliced eggs, then crumble the bacon on top. This is also where you would add cheese and protein if you have it.
- Make the dressing. In a bowl, combine all the ingredients except for the water. Slowly stir in the water. You don’t have to use the full 1/3 cup if you like your dressing thick, and you can also add more water if you like it thinner. Drizzle over the salad and garnish with a little more chives and dill, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. YUM!