In my quest to find more recipes to make with olive oil, I don’t know why breakfast had evaded me.
Have you ever had olive oil fried eggs?? They’re AMAZING.
I partnered with Spanish Olive Oil Interprofessional to create this easy and delicious breakfast recipe, and I think you’ll love it. Because what’s better than a fried egg in the morning? An olive oil fried egg! It gets those wonderfully crispy, brown edges.
I served this with asparagus and romesco sauce on the side. If you like roasted peppers, garlic, almonds, and sundried tomatoes, you’ll love this sauce. It’s a traditional Spanish condiment (from Catalan) that’s used on everything from eggs to toast to fish and meat. All you need is a few simple ingredients, good quality olive oil to bring it all together, and a food processor. It’s done in 5 minutes.
Note: I used 1/2 tsp of salt for the romesco, because I like things on the salty side, but if you don’t, I recommend starting with a 1/4 tsp. You can always add more, but you can’t take away!
Note: I made this recipe with 3 eggs because that was all my pan could fit, but if you have a larger skillet, you could easily make 4 eggs.
My technique with the asparagus is to use a nonstick skillet and a nonstick spray like Pam or coconut spray (I used coconut). Layer the asparagus in a single layer and let cook over medium heat, while tossing the asparagus around every few minutes. And covering them in between tossing around so they steam a little too. They look grilled don’t they?! I suppose you could use butter instead of nonstick spray, but with all the olive oil in this recipe I didn’t want the flavors to conflict. I was so impressed with this technique I’ll definitely be using it again.
Olive Oil Fried Eggs with Romesco Sauce
- Bunch asparagus, ends trimmed
- Cooking spray (Pam, Coconut, etc)
- 1/3 cup Extra Virgin Spanish Olive Oil
- 3 eggs
For the Romesco sauce
- 2 jarred roasted red peppers, coarsely chopped
- 5 oil-packed sundried tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp roasted, unsalted almonds
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley
- 1/2 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt (use 1/4 tsp if you’re sensitive to salt)
- 1/4 cup Extra Virgin Spanish Olive Oil
- Make the romesco sauce. In a food processor, add all the ingredients except the olive oil and pulse until combined. Then slowly add in the olive oil, if you can do that while the blender is running. My blender doesn’t have that option, so I just stop the processor and add the olive oil, then blend again until it has a slightly creamy consistency and a beautiful orangey-red color. Taste to adjust seasoning (if needed) and set aside.
- Make the asparagus. Heat a nonstick large skillet over medium heat and spray with cooking spray. When hot, add the asparagus in a single layer and let cook for a few minutes, uncovered. Toss the asparagus around and cover, let cook for another minute or so. Continue this process for about 10 minutes until seared (will look like grill marks) and cooked through. You can shut off the heat but keep these warm on the stove while you cook the eggs.
- Add olive oil to a large skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Crack the eggs in a bowl separately, making sure you don’t have any broken yolks. When the pan is hot, add the eggs one at a time and use a spatula to keep the whites from running into each other. Fry the eggs until the edges get all crispy and brown, and spoon the hot oil (carefully so you don’t burn yourself!) over the whites of the eggs. This should take about 3-4 minutes total.
- Plate the asparagus and serve the eggs on top, with romesco on top, on the side, however you please! Either way it will be delicious.