I really don’t know how I can live without the Instant Pot now. It’s changed my life.
I don’t think I can go back to making sweet potatoes in the oven unless I’m roasting them.
This is SO easy and cuts the time in half. Maybe even more than half.
Here’s all you need:
The trivet that goes inside the instant pot
That’s it. And if you don’t have the trivet, you can use little tin foil balls to prop up the potatoes so they steam.
You don’t have to cut them or poke holes in them or anything. I just washed/scrubbed them with my (clean) hands and a bit of warm water. Some other sites say poke holes all around but truthfully, last time I did that they actually didn’t cook as fast.
The texture is perfect for MASHED sweet potatoes, so if you want a slightly firmer sweet potato, just cut down on the cook time/natural pressure release time by a few minutes. They were awesome with a little Kerrygold butter (the best) and cinnamon.
Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- 3 large sweet potatoes, raw
- 1 cup water
- 1-2 tbsps of salted butter (I use Kerrygold)
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of cinnamon (optional)
- Scrub the sweet potatoes with your hands a bit under warm water.
- Fill the Instant Pot with 1 cup water and place the trivet inside.
- Place the sweet potatoes on the trivet, close and make sure the float valve is set to “sealed”. Set Instant Pot mode to “Pressure Cook” for 15 minutes.
- Once the time is up, let the pressure release naturally for another 20 minutes or so. Release any excess pressure by turning the float valve to “vent”.
- Remove the potatoes and let cool enough so you can handle them. Peel the skins (they will basically slide right off) and put potatoes in a large bowl. Mash with a fork to desired consistency.
- Add butter, salt, and cinnamon. Et voila! Easy peasy.