I decided to be low carb today, and I had a rotisserie chicken in the fridge that needed to be used, so this is what I came up with. Easy peasy!
I love buffalo sauce and will eat it on pretty much anything, but buffalo chicken is probably my favorite (goes hand in hand with my amazing wings, which you can find here). I used Frank’s Red Hot for this, but you can make your own or use any other brand you like. When I make buffalo sauce for my wings, it’s literally Frank’s Red Hot and butter, so in this case it’s Frank’s Red Hot and mayo.
Also keep in mind, I basically hate mayo, but I find it necessary as an ingredient for certain things, and chicken salad of any kind falls under “necessary”.
In terms of the avocado, I cut it like this mostly for the photo, but I kind of enjoyed it because I got avo in every bite! But I think if you chop it into smaller pieces it would be just as good, if not easier to eat. Your call!
Also, if you decide to NOT be low carb, no one will blame you. I feel like these would be even more delish on top of a flour tortilla. I think a corn tortilla might combat the flavor too much so stick with flour if you’re going to go that route.
Note: feel free to add in some dark meat from the chicken, I just prefer the white meat so I didn’t. If you do, just add a little more mayo and Frank’s to taste!
And if you like onions in your chicken salad, you could mix in the white scallions directly to the salad and keep the greens for garnish.
Buffalo Chicken Lettuce Wraps w/Avocado
- 1 rotisserie chicken, white meat pieces torn up
- 3 tbsp mayo
- 1/4 cup Frank’s Red Hot
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- Lettuce wraps (I used big pieces of Butterhead lettuce)
- 1 avocado, sliced or chopped
- 2-3 scallions, sliced (both green and white parts)
- Sour cream
- Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 Lime
- Place the rotisserie chicken pieces into a large bowl. Add the mayo, Frank’s Red Hot, onion powder, and salt. Mix together until all the chicken is coated. The chicken mixture should look like chicken salad and have an orange-pink hue. Taste for seasoning and add more salt if you want.
- Take 2-3 lettuce wraps and lay out on a plate. Top with the chicken mixture, then add the avocado, scallions, sour cream and cheese. Sprinkle with more Frank’s Red Hot if you desire, and a squeeze of fresh lime. That’s it, enjoy!