As you may or may not know, I am not a baker. I find it satisfying as hell when I can bake something that comes out good though, so this is one of those moments. FreshDirect actually had the canned pumpkin (you’d think it was toilet paper or something because it’s sold out everywhere), so I decided to try my hand at Pumpkin Bread.
Whenever I’m baking, I basically research other recipes to get an idea of the quantities of flour/eggs/sugar needed, then make a recipe out of the ones I find. Make sense? Cool.
Another thing I should add: this is not a healthy recipe. There’s sugar, there’s oil, there’s flour. I should probably try and make a “skinny” version of this recipe, but if you’re like me and you don’t eat sweets often, I think it’s fine to splurge once in a while.
One of the recipes I looked at called for orange juice in place of milk, and I actually think that would be really good, but I didn’t have any on me so milk it was. I bet apple juice would work well too.
Perfect Pumpkin Bread with Chocolate Chips
- 1 and 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 can pumpkin puree (roughly 1.5 cups)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease the loaf pan with butter or cooking spray (I used cooking spray).
- In a large bowl, add flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, baking soda, and salt. Mix together.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk the eggs together. Then add both sugars, pumpkin puree, vegetable oil, and milk. Whisk together again. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and mix together with a spatula (don’t worry if it’s a little lumpy). Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the greased loafpan and bake for 60-65 mins. You can check the old fashioned way with a toothpick or a knife – if it comes out clean after you insert it, it’s good. I took mine out right around the 62 minute mark and it was perfect! Let it cool completely, then slice and serve.
As always, thanks to FreshDirect for the ingredients! Proud to be an #fdambassador.